Rescuers find more bodies at Miami building collapse site
Islam News – Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said 150 people remained missing as of Monday afternoon local time as searchers continued to comb through the ruins of the building for possible survivors.
Police have so far identified eight of the victims, including a couple married for nearly 60 years and a mother whose teenage son is one of the few known survivors.
Officials vowed to keep searching for any possible survivors five days after the 12-story building fell without warning as residents slept.
Crews were using cranes, dogs and infrared scans as they looked for any signs of life amid the ruins, hoping air pockets may have formed underneath the concrete that could be keeping some people alive.
“We’re going to continue and work ceaselessly to exhaust every possible options in our search,” Ms Cava told a news briefing earlier.
“The search-and-rescue operation continues.”
The cause of the collapse at the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, near Miami, remains under investigation.
A 2018 engineer’s report found serious concrete deterioration in the underground parking garage as well as major damage in the concrete slab beneath the pool deck.
Mr Prieto, who is no longer employed by Surfside, told the Miami Herald newspaper he did not remember getting the report.
The engineer’s report was commissioned in advance of the building seeking recertification, a required process for buildings that reach 40 years of age. The tower was constructed in 1981.
An estimate prepared by Morabito Consultants in 2018 put the cost of repairs at $US9.1 million ($12 million), including electrical, plumbing and work on the facade.
Source: ABC NEWS