US ‘concerned’ about Iranian threats to Saudi Arabia
“We are concerned about the threat picture and we remain in constant contact through military and intelligence channels with the Saudis,” the US National Security Council said in a statement.
The United States is concerned about threats from Iran against Saudi Arabia and will not hesitate to respond if necessary, a White House spokesman said on Tuesday.
The heightened concerns about a potential attack on Saudi Arabia come as the Biden administration is criticising Tehran for its crackdown on widespread protests and condemning it for sending hundreds of drones, as well as technical support, to Russia for use in its war in Ukraine.
Saudi Arabia did not immediately respond to requests for comment, nor did Iran’s mission to the United Nations.
One of the officials who confirmed the intelligence sharing described it as a credible threat of an attack “soon or within 48 hours.” No US embassy nor consulate in the region has issued alerts or guidance to Americans in Saudi Arabia or elsewhere in the Middle East based on the intelligence.
US State Department spokesman Ned Price said America was “concerned about the threat picture,” without elaborating.
The Wall Street Journal first reported on the Saudis sharing the intelligence earlier on Tuesday. Iran has alleged, without providing any evidence, that Saudi Arabia and other rivals are fomenting the dissent on its streets by ordinary Iranians.